Saturday, September 29, 2012

Ending in Rendezvous in Black / Martine's Character

I found the ending of Rendezvous in Black to be extremely dark and noir-ish. The author put so much time into talking about Martine and Allen that I really thought there would be a somewhat happy ending with Martine escaping death. I forgot for a little bit that it was a noir novel- so an unhappy ending should have been expected. I loved Martine's character, and found her to be the complete opposite of Johnny Marr. Johnny was revengeful, whereas Martine had "never been inclined to feel sorry for herself. No matter what they took away, you still had so much left" (174). This was a deep contrast with his character who couldn't face reality and recognize that there was more to life. (I have a different book so the page number might be a little off). I found it hard to finish the book because it was just so suspenseful that I didn't think I could handle reading any more! What did everyone else think of the ending/ the character of Martine?

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you, and I really like that chapter one of the most. It was really upsetting to see Martine get killed, but not something I wasn't expecting, considering the concept of the entire book. There was something very strong about Martine's character, as opposed to the other women in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't like the ending either. The fact that Johnny fell for the trap set by Cameron indicated that he still believed Dorothy was alive. At the same time, he had also killed numerous people in pursuit of sudo-revenge, which indicates that he knew Dorothy was dead. Granted, the character was meant to be seen as delusional, but, for me, this back and forth really detracted from the character.

    ReplyDelete