Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Postman Always Rings Twice ending

Hello, everyone!

So, I know The Postman Always Rings Twice has is its own thread, but I'll be honest - I still need to take a peak at all the other posts that have been made. I did, however, wanted to share my thoughts on the ending of the story.

First and foremost: did anyone else feel like the narrative wrapped up incredibly quickly? I mean, I felt like there was a great deal of time spent on how Frank and Cora felt toward the murder and one another after the crime, but everything after Kennedy comes to the restaurant seemed very rushed, like Cain was trying to just get to the ending. I mean, Frank's reformation, in my opinion, did not see much in the way of detail (at least not until the very end), nor did his subsequent trial after Cora's death. I supposed that, in terms of what is essential to the plot, these things aren't that substantial, but I finished the book wanting to know more about Frank's change. Don't get me wrong - I feel like there was enough to make me upset over Frank's death, I didn't really feel anything for him until those last few paragraphs. Perhaps it was the way the dialogue was written in the book, but when Frank and Cora are discussing "the devil leaving" Frank, I wasn't really sure if he was actually telling the truth or not. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

5 comments:

  1. I agree with the ending feeling rushed. A lot of the ending wasn't very memorable for me, and I think that's mainly because everything blended in so quickly. Maybe that was intentional on Cain's part- for some reason or another. I actually did like the dialogue though- it gave everything sorta a cold, unattached feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I did appreciate that aspect of the dialogue. As much as it left me asking, "Are they serious about this, or are they just saying things they know the other person will want to hear?" I do think it plays into the genre particularly well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I thought the ending was really quick. Cora was killed in the car accident and then everything else happened within a mere few pages. I think it could have used a more solid and meaningful ending, but I guess a lot of it was up to the reader to interpret and decide how they felt regarding Cora's death, which lead to Frank's death? Not sure, but I definitely agree

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree with the ending feeling rushed. I found that I had to re-read what exactly happened when Cora and Frank went swimming in the ocean. It felt like one minute they were swimming, and the next minute Cora was dead.

    Bob’s question about “the devil leaving Frank” made me think about whether or not Frank actually intended to kill Cora. Do you think the crash was really an accident or did Frank subconsciously kill her?

    I think that Cora’s death in a car is far too coincidental to be an accident. Since Frank killed Nick while in a car, it seems that he may have subconsciously wanted Cora to die and used the car as his means for killing her. No matter how Frank tried, he would still be a drifter, and now that Cora was pregnant, he would be forced to settle down. I think that Frank resents Cora since she is the reason he killed “The Greek,” and now she is the one thing keeping him from returning to his life as a drifter.

    What do you guys think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Cora's death was accidental. I mean, he pretty much planned both the attempted and the actual murder of the Greek. I feel like if he wanted to kill Cora, he could have just done it, no problem. Like we were saying in class, I think this ties into the title being The Postman Always Rings Twice - except, in this case, the "postman" is death. However, I do think Cain wrote it to be open to interpretation, hence Frank's questioning whether he did it subconsciously or not.

    ReplyDelete