Sunday, November 4, 2012

Dix: Victim?


In Friday's discussion, everyone seemed quick to condemn Dix for his short temper, as well his apparent lack of sympathy after Mildred's death. Sure his near-strangling of Laurel near the end is worthy of condemnation, but I also can't help feeling that Dix is, to some extent, a victim here. For one thing, nearly all of the characters present in the restaurant scenes are sycophantic leeches intent on feeding off of Dix. Mel, who is Dix's agent and claims to be his friend, is caught spying through his window shades and brazenly steals an unfinished script. Mildred's interest in Dix was wholly superficial, obviously arising from her star-struck desire to rub shoulders with a Hollywood screenwriter. When asked, Laurel merely stated that she “liked his face.” Even the (kids?) outside looking for autographs outside the restaurant accused Dix of being “nobody.” Perhaps the only character who comes across as genuine is the drunk actor, Charlie. It just seems like Dix's anger stems more from being fed up with greed and Hollywood superficiality than war induced post-traumatic stress disorder.

7 comments:

  1. I'm not sure that's entirely fair. I agree with you that Dix is a victim, but I don't think that it can be generalized that everyone is simply using him. For at least Mel and Laurel, I think that it can be argued that they have a genuine affection for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "For at least Mel and Laurel, I think that it can be argued that they have a genuine affection for him" - I absolutely agree with you on this. I just thought the whole "I liked his face" was a strange answer to police questioning. It sounds like something Hannibal Lecter would say and I honestly thought that Laurel killed Mildred out of jealousy for most of the film.

      Delete
  2. I agree with your statement that suggests Dix's anger is a result of the way he has been treated. I don't know if he really wants to be like that consciously, but I think his anger is just something that happened to him throughout life- so he could be viewed as the victim. It's like the anger takes over him and he loses himself to it- something that he can't control.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think Dix is a victim. He chose the career he chose and I don't think we should be sympathetic towards him because he hasn't made a good picture in years. He is short-tempered, bitter, and cold, which is why I really don't see much compassion for him on the exterior. However, I do see where you're coming from because I believe deep down, he just doesn't know how to show compassion and sympathy. He does give roses when Mildred gets killed and it seems like he really does have a good side to him, but I think overall, he is unable to break tough his tough exterior. Being that openly violent and brutal, especially towards Laurel makes me really show no compassion for him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I know is that I would be pissed if somebody stole one of my artistic 'works in progress'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad someone else felt this way as well. I was kind of afraid to bring it up in class because everyone seemed to really hate Dix. I really felt bad for him. I agree that he really had a lot working against him. I think I'd be pretty salty if the person I loved was convinced I had committed some awful act. I don't think because someone has an anger problem that they are automatically capable of murder. Dare I say... I even kind of liked Dix? I was upset that he slapped Mel...but people make mistakes... I guess..
    I also think Laurel just kind of sucked in general. I wasn't a huge fan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with this! I honestly didn't think this until the end when we realize her was never a murderer. I think he was fed up with all the glam of Hollywood and he had enough of the greed. You could see this when he greeted the drunk Charlie and the way his relationship was Laurel. Rachel I agree with you too about liking Dix, he seemed violent but he had good intentions! Laurel was dull and annoying to me as well. I think Dix underneath it all deserved better at the end of the novel.

    ReplyDelete