Tuesday, November 27, 2012

What's the Deal Aunt Dot?!

In The Talented Mr. Ripley, I believe Highsmith was very effective in constructing fascinating characters, in addition to Tom Ripley, that one feels compelled to psychoanalyze. While reading the novel and writing my paper, I found myself really trying to understand what Aunt Dottie's deal was.  Is she really just some cold-hearted, bitter woman who targets her anger on her innocent, young nephew? Consequently, does she resent having to care for Tom? Is the portrayal of Aunt Dottie biased, given that you only really learn about her during Tom's reflections upon the past?

It could very well be possible that Tom only ruminates on the times when Aunt Dottie was cruel to him, and does not give her credit for the good that she has done for him. Tom has such a passionate hatred for Aunt Dottie, but it can also be argued that has a completely unjustified hatred for Dickie as well. Are these two different kinds of hatred? One might even conclude that Highsmith doesn't provide enough information concerning Aunt Dottie to make any solid inferences. Regardless, I feel as though it is worthwhile to put some thought into the mentality of not only Tom, but also Aunt Dottie, given that she played a significant role in Tom's upbringing.

5 comments:

  1. I actually discussed Aunt Dottie as a significant cause for Tom's issues later in life in my paper. I think that her hate for Tom causes a lot of shame for him. She constantly informs him of what a burden he is and like he says himself, who does that to a child? I also think she draws attention to the fact that he has no real parents a great deal and that is a huge issue. Tom doesn't have any real parental figures and that hurts him.
    On Dottie's end, I really don't know what her problem is. She's super grumpy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it really seems as though she resents having to care for Tom. She also appears to enjoy his misery, and pretty much generally making his life lousy. I also also referred to Aunt Dottie in my paper as the root of Tom's shame-based issues. In addition, the lack of a father figure coupled with Dottie mocking Tom and Tom's dad could not have been a good combination for him, mental-health wise. I know Tom says that "it's a wonder he turned out as well as he did" but I'm pretty sure it's evident that Tom didn't turn out so well after all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! I want to find the good in Aunt Dottie so we can conclude Tom is jus a psychopath and she actually had nothing to do with it. While I was writing my paper I noticed that whenever he talked about her he only brought back like two memories, when she would send him checks and complain about the money she spent on him and when she called him a sissy. This can't be the only thing she ever talked to him about. She did keep him for all those years and still sent him money so there has to be some kind feelings there. I think Tom just has the personality where all he can focus on is the criticisms and that it is very hard for him to let go of those and he simply cannot remember all of the good times or wonderful things she said to him in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Nicole's point is interesting that "Tom just has the personality where all he can focus on is the criticisms" - that would say a lot about the type of person he is. Almost like he's trying to define himself as the victim. Maybe she was bitter that she was almost forced into caring for Tom (I got the impression she really had no option), so took the anger out on him. I think he hated her so much because he could sense that bitterness toward him, but it was something she had to do. Reminds me of how Dickie kinda just had to put up with Tom after a while even though he really didn't want him there..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought it was ironic how Aunt Dottie criticized Tom for being a "sissy" since she is a woman and is basically insulting herself when she calls someone a sissy. If sissy is supposed to imply emasculation and effeminacy, then Dottie just basically called Tom a woman, thereby insulting herself. It seems that all of Tom's family probably had its deal of psychological problems and this comment alone highlights Dottie's own self-hatred and issues with her gender (more subconsciously than consciously). I know I read somewhere that Highsmith hated her mom and became estranged from her because she couldn't stand her craziness anymore; however, Highsmith also seems pretty crazy in her own right. Since Highsmith is also a lesbian and has been criticized for being a misogynist herself, I wonder if the relationship between Tom and Dottie reflected her own relationship with her mother. Since Highsmith studied psychology, it seems that she purposely put this scene in the novel to exhibit how mental illness is both inherited and caused by environmental factors.

    ReplyDelete