Tuesday, December 4, 2012

"Double Indemnity" at Happy Hour

Ok, so I know everybody is stressing out right now as classes are abruptly coming to an end and, if your anything like me and my friends, some happy hour/going out to eat action can really recharge the batteries. So tonight while I was attempting to reboot a bit before continuing work, it seems that a Temple student during finals can't truly escape their fate of looming finals. As we sat down, the bar was playing, as the title suggests, "Double Indemnity". I literally just had to laugh. I have to admit that "Double Indemnity" is still one of my favorite things that we have looked at so far this semester and, I know that I've seen a couple of polls about who liked what, but I figure I'll ask again. What was everybody's favorite film/book/character/whatever that we looked at with Lukin this semester?

Random and not very educational, I know, but don't worry guys, the semester is almost over.

5 comments:

  1. Ahh I love this post.
    I actually to be honest.. really loved Queenpin.
    Maybe its because I like intense female figures...
    But I just loved it.
    And I really enjoyed the dialogue.
    I also really liked In a Lonely Place!

    Why was Double Indemnity your favorite?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking back, I think favorite might not have been the correct word choice here. Maybe the fact that it was the first real thing that we actually dug into is the reason it resonates so well with me.

      Delete
  2. I really appreciated the cinematography of "Out of the Past" and the craziness of The Talented Mr. Ripley. It seems that Highsmith integrates so much psychology and social critique into Tom Ripley that there could be a neverending discussion on what his true motivations were. Highsmith's TTMR can be read from so many different viewpoints (queer, Freudian, etc.) that it makes me wonder whether all the complexity present in the text was intentional or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. “Out of the Past” is my favorite film we've seen. I really love the characters of Jeff and Kathie, and I feel that they are both great embodiments of the hard-boiled noir anti-hero and the femme fatale. I also think that the plot of the film is one of the best depictions of the noir style we’ve encountered due to the doomed, flawed characters that meet a tragic end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Talented Mr. Ripley was my favorite - Tom was such a rich, interesting character.

    ReplyDelete